Preparation time: 30 minutes
Rest: Total 2 hours (2 rest sessions)
For the past few days, the baking spell has taken over me.
I love baking and pretty good at it. But sometimes I don’t bake for months on stretch. However when I start, I will usually bake every other day for weeks!
Two days ago, my kids and I made our go to homemade bread. This is my foolproof bread dough recipe that was taught to me by my grandmother, who has now passed away. I now teach my kids so that they too will remember this when they grow up and hopefully, they too will teach their kids.
I love this bread recipe because it’s simple and very easy to make. The best thing is, there is no need for fancy bread maker. You can just use a hook kneader to your stand mixer, or if you’re a Puritan like me, you can knead it by hand. I always prefer kneading dough by hand because I love the feel when it starts to come together.
You can either bake this bread on its own or you can add in literally anything you like.
I’ve added orange extract with orange zest in it, I’ve added almond extract and mixed nuts, I’ve put in chocolate chips, I’ve added dried herbs like oregano leaves and rosemary into it, and I’ve also made them into cheese buns where I put in lots of cheese in the middle of it.
Here’s the recipe and I really hope you’ll try it!
1 cup warm water
1 packet of yeast (11g)
>> Mix until yeast is dissolved and let to rest until mixture is bubbly (about 30 minutes)
1 large egg (beaten)
2 tablespoon butter / margarine
2 tablespoon condensed milk/milk/water/buttermilk
3 tablespoon caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
3 ½ cups flour
1. Mix B together to form crumbly dough.
2. Add in A gradually and slowly knead into pliable dough.
3. Knead until soft and smooth (about 10 – 15 minutes by hand).
4. Cover with warm, damp towel and let rest for 30 – 60 minutes*.
5. Once dough is raised, punch in the middle to let the air out and knead lightly for several minutes.
6. Shape into balls and arrange in a greased baking tin. You can also just put the whole dough into a tin if you want to make a big loaf.
7. Cover with warm, damp towel and let rest again for another 30 – 60 minutes*.
8. Preheat oven to 160˚C.
9. Before baking, brush with butter / margerine.
10 Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until turned golden brown (based on your oven capacity).
*The longer you rest the bread, the fluffier it is.
You can also brush the bread dough with egg wash so your bread top crust is golden brown.
1 large egg
2 tablespoons of water
A pinch of salt
-Beat all ingredients together and brush on buns before putting it into the oven